This comes to us from our good pal Janet in Manhattan...
1. John McCain voted against establishing a national holiday in honor of
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Now he says his position has "evolved,"
yet he's continued to oppose key civil rights laws.
2. According to Bloomberg News, McCain is more hawkish than Bush on
Iraq, Russia and China. Conservative columnist Pat Buchanan says McCain
"will make Cheney look like Gandhi."
3. His reputation is built on his opposition to torture, but McCain
voted against a bill to ban waterboarding, and then applauded President
Bush for vetoing that ban.
4. McCain opposes a woman's right to choose. He said, "I do not support
Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned."
5. The Children's Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in
Congress for children. He voted against the children's health care bill
last year, then defended Bush's veto of the bill.
6. He's one of the richest people in a Senate filled with millionaires.
The Associated Press reports he and his wife own at least eight homes!
Yet McCain says the solution to the housing crisis is for people facing
foreclosure to get a "second job" and skip their
7. Many of McCain's fellow Republican senators say he's too reckless to
be commander in chief. One Republican senator said: "The thought of his
being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He's erratic.
He's hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me."
8. McCain talks a lot about taking on special interests, but his
campaign manager and top advisers are actually lobbyists. The government
watchdog group Public Citizen says McCain has 59 lobbyists raising money
for his campaign, more than any of the other presidential candidates.
9. McCain has sought closer ties to the extreme religious right in
recent years. The pastor McCain calls his "spiritual guide," Rod
Parsley, believes America's founding mission is to destroy Islam, which
he calls a "false religion." McCain sought the political support of
right-wing preacher John Hagee, who believes Hurricane Katrina was God's
punishment for gay rights and called the Catholic Church "the
Antichrist" and a "false cult."
10. He positions himself as pro-environment, but he scored a 0 (yes,
zero)from the League of Conservation Voters last year.