Friday, September 08, 2006
9/11 Co-Chair and "Path to 9/11" Consultant Kean Confirms Ostroy Report Exclusive that Disney's Iger Received Call From Clinton
In a story in Friday's New York Times, former Governor of New Jersey and co-chair of the federal 9/11 Commission, Thomas H. Kean, said he was surprised by the current outrage over ABC's plan to air the controversial "The Path to 9/11" docudrama Sunday and Monday, on which he served as a consultant, because former President Bill Clinton had spoken directly with Disney CEO & President Robert Iger about the film last week. This is a startling revelation, and it comes just a day after we exclusively reported that the two men had spoken and that Iger agreed to Clinton's edit requests.
In addition to speaking with Clinton himself, Iger has received a barrage of angry correspondence from several former Clinton officials including Madeleine Albright, Sandy Berger and Bruce Lindsey, and as a result ABC has reportedly agreed to change at least three highly controversial scenes which the Clinton aides claimed were 100% falsely depicted.
And on another note, Scholastic, which had planned to widely distribute the film as an educational tool to teachers nationwide, said Thursday that it was removing materials about the film from its website, the Times reported, and that a new reference aide would be produced to help students understand the differences between a docudrama and a documentary.